Re-knitting. The story of my knitting life. I buy the yarn. I think I have a pattern in mind. I knit the pattern. Yarn doesn't like the pattern, so I frog the first pattern and knit the second. And sometimes a third. I haven't reached the point of knitting a fourth with any yarn re-incarnations. Yet. After three tries, I'm usually done, done, DONE with working with the yarn, no matter how lovely it is.
Madelinetosh Pashmina. Gorgeous yarn. Wood, silk and cashmere blend. Sport weight. Yummy to knit.
I wanted it to be a Making Waves cardigan in its first incarnation and to look like this:
I suspect I was seduced by the how the sweater looked on the model plus the beautiful heather color. As noted above, however, my yarn was not that color. Not to mention my body looks nothing like the models. As a result my first effort looked like this (unblocked):
I didn't put the shaping in which was probably a mistake, plus it was too big.
Onto effort #2 which was a size smaller of the same pattern. After many re-knitting efforts, I had come to realize that I could just unravel the previous attempt while knitting the new attempt. Fortunately this is a very easy pattern to knit, because the second effort was too small. :::sigh::: (And yes I do feel like Goldilocks at times.) I also realized that the first size I had made was probably the correct size, but I was done with this pattern (at least for the present time).
I still loved the yarn and was still determined to find a pattern for it. Next up was Vanadium.
Once again I simply knit off the previous sweater. Optimistically I chose the size to knit based on the number of yards of yarn I had.
Oops. WAY too small. I am trying to lose
So then I was thinking maybe Buttercups will work.
Cute, right? And it looks comfortable. BUT it's the not right yarn weight for this pattern. Buttercup calls for an 8 ply DK and pashmina is 5 ply sport. And I don't want to go there with using the wrong weight yarn for a project which is why I'm going to go buy the yarn for the Austin Hoodie
instead of succumbing to the temptation to make it out of the pashmina. Because the Austin Hoodie calls for 3 ply fingering and pashmina is 5 ply sport. Not the same weight. At all. So even if I have to wait all the way until tomorrow to get the yarn I will.
Meanwhile I've found this possibility for the pashmina.
It's cute, the right yarn weight, right yardage and has the advantage of being free AND seamless. Just need to get the smaller (size 1 US) needles. Which I can pick up when I go to get my Madelinetosh fingering yarn for the Austin Hoodie. Win-win! (Well, except for the whole buying yarn when I already have a closet-full thing.)








0 comments:
Post a Comment